How do I claim the Marriage Allowance?

The Marriage Allowance allows eligible couples to transfer £1,260 of Personal Allowance to their husband, wife or civil partner. To benefit from the Marriage Allowance as a couple, the lower earner must typically have an income below their Personal Allowance; this is usually £12,570.

The Marriage Allowance reduces your partner’s tax by up to £252 in the tax year and can be backdated to include any tax year since 5th April 2017, if you were eligible during that period. Please note that when you transfer some of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner, you may have to pay more tax yourself. However, you could still pay less tax as a couple.

Married couples or couples in a civil partnership can benefit from the Marriage Allowance if one partner does not pay Income Tax or their income is below the Personal Allowance (typically £12,570). The recipient of the Personal Allowance must pay Income Tax at the basic rate, which means their income is between £12,571 and £50,270 before they receive the Marriage Allowance.

To determine how much tax you can save as a couple, use the Marriage Allowance Calculator on the GOV.UK website.

What do I need to apply?
To apply for the Marriage Allowance, you and your partner must have your National Insurance Number. You must both prove your identity and must use two of the following methods to do so:

    • Your P60,
    • One of your most recent payslips,
    • Your UK passport details,
    • Information held on your credit file, such as loans, credit cards or mortgages,
    • Details from your Self Assessment tax return in the last three years.

You can apply for the Marriage Allowance here.

Beware of misleading claims management companies
It is important to note that it is free to claim Marriage Allowance, and it can be done through the GOV.UK website via an online application form. We have been made aware that some claims management companies are misleading couples by offering to claim the Marriage Allowance for them in return for a cut of the payout.

These companies are not illegal, but they are not always transparent. For example, they are not always forthcoming about who they are and may hide vital information about who they are deep in the terms and conditions. In discussions with individuals who have fallen prey to these schemes, Which? found that some claims management companies’ websites looked strikingly similar to official government websites. Unfortunately, this makes it harder for people to realise they are being misled. Alongside copycat websites, claims management companies may also use misleading language and have hidden fee structures. Some customers have reported losing as much as half of their Marriage Allowance when using a claims management company.

HMRC recommends that those wanting to claim the Marriage Allowance come directly to HMRC to claim their allowance for free. A spokesperson said that “it only takes a few
minutes to complete the online application, and eligible claims receive 100% of their entitlement.”

Bulley Davey can assist you in your personal tax planning
The efficient management of your tax affairs is an essential part of your personal financial planning. Effective tax planning can create opportunities for you to minimise your taxation liabilities and the efficient handling of your tax compliance can eliminate the risk of penalties and fines for noncompliance. Find out how we can help here.